Shakshuka is on of my husband favorite dishes. It’s a very famous Israeli dish, and I am sure for him it tastes of home. During the years he has perfected his own Shakshuka recipe and made it many times for friends in different parts of the world. It was always a huge success. This is one of the most crowd-pleasing dishes I have ever eaten, maybe because the ingredients are so universally liked: eggs and tomatoes.
Roasted Tomato Shakshuka can be a very easy dish, it can be made with all kinds of short-cuts, but it can also be a real “chef” dish and be made fully from scratch, with fancy ingredients.
This is my version. I like roasted veggies 10 times better than boring pan cooked…so I decided to try a Roasted Tomato Shakshuka version of the famous dish. I was not disappointed.
- 1 large yellow organic onion
- 1 red organic bell pepper
- 1.5 lb organic cherry tomatoes or any sweet, small heirloom tomato
- ¼ cup organic extra virgin olive oil
- ½ tablespoon cumin seeds
- 2 fresh thyme sprigs, leaves picked
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- 1 pinch of cayenne
- sea salt
- 4 organic free range eggs
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Wash the tomatoes, cut them in 2 and lay them on a lightly oiled cookie sheet
- Sprinkle with sea salt
- Bake for ½ hour or until the tomatoes are fully roasted, soft and caramelized
- In the meantime heat a large deep pan and dry roast the cumin seed for a minute
- Now add the olive oil and the chopped onions and saute' until soft on a low flame
- Add the pepper cut in strips
- Now add the herbs chopped finely
- Now add the tomatoes, which are ideally just out of the oven, but can also be pre-made and kept n the fridge
- Add salt and the cayenne pepper
- When the mixture is bubbling make sure there is enough water. It should be very juicy, like a sauce
- Now carefully break the eggs around the pan, spreading them evenly
- Cook on the lowest flame for about 10 minutes, until the egg white is set but the yolk still a bit soft inside (you can vary the cook time if you prefer firmer or runnier yolks)
- Serve immediately.