I do not know anybody who has tried Nutella and not loved it. Something about the nuttiness, the creaminess, the chocolatiness….
well I have been trying to replicate Nutella in a healthy way for a while, and I feel like I got close enough to share my results.
You be the judge of this homemade Nutella alternative, which is actually not bad for you. (Mind, it is not a diet food, as it’s quite calorie dense…)
Also I am trying to come up with snacks for kids that would make the transaction to healthy foods easier. So this could be a step in the right direction of feeding your family healthier stuff.
And it’s easy to make!
This post has been featured on the awesome Paleo Dessert recipe roundup form Paleo Grubs!
- 1 cup raw hazelnuts, shelled
- ¼ cup raw cacao powder
- ½ stick organic cultured butter
- 1 to 4 drop liquid stevia
- ½ cup coconut water
- 1 teaspoon organic liquid vanilla
- Toast hazelnuts in a skillet over low flame, for about 10 min.
- Let cool and roll between your hands to remove skins.
- (you can gently blow on the hazelnuts then and the skin will fly off)
- Grind nuts in a coffee grinder until pulverized.
- (If you own a vitamix you can skip this step and just put all the ingredients in the blender)
- In a food processor mix the ground hazelnuts with the softened butter and the rest of the ingredients.
- Mix thoroughly until smooth. You can add the coconut water a little at the time until the desired consistency is reached.
- You can keep the resulting cream in a glass jar in the fridge, and bring to room temperature before spreading.