No More Holiday Panic!
The Holiday season is almost here, and if you are a low-carber or a ketoer like me you are probably dreading every social even you will have to take part in.
It’s going to be like crossing a mine field, right? It’s the ultimate test of willpower…..and we do not always win.
Do you feel like it’s not fair?! I do!
You are working so hard, trying to be healthy, trying to do the right thing….and then there is a bunch of people who do not care and stuff their faces with pie in front of you!
3 tips to survive of the holiday season and keto on!
1) Throw a low-carb party! So you are the one in charge and can give the guidelines for what to bring! It could be a fun potluck!
2) Bring a side dish, or a keto dessert so you can always eat turkey or ham, your side dish and/or dessert!
3) Be prepared with lots of delicious recipes that would please the whole family and fit your keto / low carb parameters!! (I will help with that!!)
Let’s get started with the yum stuff!
This recipe is worth making for the bread alone….probably the best keto bread I ever made!!
As you might know I am very VERY insulin resistant, so I can only have a little of it….but to have that piece of oven warm bread with a good dollop of butter on it….oh it was pure heaven!!
Then, just because we are keto / low carbers does that mean we are not gourmande?? HECK NO!
So move over Epicurious, make room Gourmet Mag, here is a world class recipe for your KETO thanksgiving that you will be proud of.
To learn more about flour substitutions please watch this video and read this post!
- Serves: 9 portions
- Serving size: 1 portion
- Calories: 336
- Fat: 25 gr
- Net Carbs: 4.1 gr NET
- Fiber: 9gr
- Protein: 15 gr
- 4 tbs chia seeds ground into flour
- 4 tbs psyllium powder (this one works great!)
- 2 cups almond meal, finely ground
- ½ cup whey protein
- 1 level tbs aluminum free baking powder
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- ¼ tsp dried garlic flakes
- ¼ tsp dried parsley flakes
- 1 tbs celtic sea salt
- 2 cups warm water
- 3 oz (84 gr) smoked guanciale or pancetta, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
- 10 fresh sage leaves, finely chopped
- few sprigs of fresh thyme, leaves separated
- 3 cups of mushrooms, sliced
- ½ cup macadamia nuts, coarsely chopped (buy bulk to save!)
- 3 oz (3 to 4 slices) prosciutto
- 1 cup bone broth (better homemade!)
- 1 teaspoon celtic sea salt
- Mix all dry ingredients together well.
- Add the 2 cups of water and mix (preferably with a mixer) until well blended.
- Let the dough sit to rest for 10 minutes.
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Oil a baking dish (about 6" by 10") with fat of choice ( I used MCt oil)
- Coop the dough in to the dish with a spatula, it should be soft and pliable but not too wet.
- Smooth the dough down with moistened spatula or fingertips.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove form the oven and let cool.
- In a large frying pan, brown the guanciale with the sage and garlic on a medium flame, until the guanciale is browned.
- Now add the mushrooms and let cook on a high flame for 10 minutes stirring often.
- In the meantime cut the cooled bread into small cubes.
- Place bread cubes on a oiled cookie sheet and put under the broiler on high or 5 to 10 minutes, until brown and crispy on all sides.
- Now remove the mushrooms form the pan and place in a a large bowl.
- In the same skillet place the prosciutto cut in thin strips, and cook until crispy.
- Remove bread cubes form the oven, and place in the bowl with the mushroom mix.
- Add the prosciutto and the macadamias coarsely chopped.
- Add the broth.
- Mix well.
- Place in a buttered oven dish and bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes, until top is slightly crisp.
If you enjoyed the recipes in this post, you might want to get the one week Meal Plan! It’s the best way to get started with a WELL FORMULATED Ketogenic diet! The meal plan contains a full week of unpublished recipes, (all Paleo too!!), a shopping guide, and a list of good and bad foods!
Everything you will need to get started with Keto in the best / healthiest possible way!