Why macaroon fat bombs?!
Why using fat bombs, you might wonder, especially if you are new to Keto.
I honestly do not use fat bombs very often for my patients, especially if you need to lose a lot of weight.
There is a lot of information out there about Keto diets and the amount of fat needed in a keto diet…Well in the last 2 years of clinical practice, using a Therapeutic Ketogenic Diet (Keto Paleo) for my patients, I came to many realizations regarding the needed content of fat for ketosis.
The main misconception about fat comes from the fact that to be in ketosis we need to restrict carbohydrates. That is what induces ketosis, NOT eating fat! So when we reduce the amount of carbs we eat, and we lower our protein to about 23 to 23% of our macros, moderate protein, we only have fats left to fill our daily caloric needs.
What about weight loss?
This brings me to the point that there are many different kinds of Keto diets.
Originally ketogenic diets were developed to control epilepsy, then became popular with the bodybuilding crowd, to reduce bodyfat.
Then keto diets were found to greatly help in the treatment of cancer, and were thoroughly researched for that purpose.
In the last two years Keto diets have become more and more popular for weight loss and for a number of health benefits they offer.
But you can imagine that every facet of a Keto diet with a different focus, will also focus on a different way of eating.
After all “ketogenic” just means a certain proportion of macronutrients, typically 5% carbs – 25% protein – 70% fat – and that does not really tell you WHAT to eat.
Also it does not necessarily apply to a weight loss model with Keto.
When you need to lose weight, you will want to use your body fat as source of energy, instead of dietary fat!
When are fat bombs appropriate?
In my opinion there are a number of good applications for fat bombs.
This is how I use them in my practice:
- When you transition form a low fat diet to a keto diet (and have no idea where to get the fat from!)
- When you are in maintenance mode and do not need to lose more weight
- When you are an athlete and need more energy to burn
- When you want a treat that is appropriate for your keto diet and macros
So try these Keto Macaroon Fat Bombs and let me know how you are using them in your keto diet, by commenting below!
Other suggestions for Fat bombs
Here are few other Fat Bomb Options for you!
PS did you know I have a fat Bomb Cookbook coming out in 2016?! More info soon!
- Serves: 10
- Serving size: 1 macaroon
- Calories: 46 -
- Fat: 5 gr -
- Net Carbs: 0.5 Net -
- Fiber: 0.5 gr -
- Protein: 1.8 gr -
- ¼ cup organic almond flour
- ½ cup shredded coconut
- 2 tablespoons Swerve
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 3 egg whites
- In a bowl mix almond flour, coconut and swerve until well blended.
- Melt the coconut oil in a small saucepan and add the vanilla extract to it.
- In the meantime chill a medium bowl in the freezer for mounting the egg whites.
- Add the melted coconut oil to the flour mix and blend really well.
- Put the egg whites in the chilled bowl and whisk until stiff, (very foamy holding stiff peaks).
- Gently incorporate the egg whites into the flour mix, trying to not overmix and to preserve some of the volume from the eggs whites.
- Spoon the mixture onto a cookie sheet, or into muffin cups if you prefer. Makes 10 portions!
- Bake at 400 for 8 minutes or until macaroons start to brown on top.
- Remove from oven and let cool before removing from the cookie sheet.