I got the idea for this sugar and grain free apple tart reading an article about sugar in National geographic Magazine, here is what it said “…although glucose is metabolized by cells all through your body, fructose is processed primarily in the liver. If you eat too much in quickly digested forms like soft drinks and candy, your liver breaks down the fructose and produces fats called triglycerides.
Some of these fats stay in the liver, which over long exposure can turn fatty and dysfunctional. But a lot of the triglycerides are pushed out into the blood too. Over time, blood pressure goes up, and tissues become progressively more resistant to insulin. The pancreas responds by pouring out more insulin, trying to keep things in check. Eventually a condition known as metabolic syndrome kicks in, characterized by obesity, especially around the waist!
(Rich Cohen from National Geographic “Sugar” article – Aug 2013)
What is “Sugar Handling”?
Described above are sad realities we deal with on a daily basis in our practice. Most patients we see, be it for Chiropractic or Nutrition, have health problems that derive from problems in sugar handling.
Most people do not even know what sugar handling means. In very simple terms, it is the way your body processes the simple sugars we eat, like glucose and fructose, and how this affects the chemistry of our blood.
Like Rick Cohen states, metabolic syndrome is one of the most commonly seen results of years of sugar abuse. Diabetes two is another result. The list does not end here, many conditions, from allergies to osteoporosis have their roots in the over consumption of sugar and refined carbs.
So do I have to give up sweets?
Reducing our sugar intake is not always easy. The sugar addiction is as powerful as a chemical addiction, and besides, a life without a bit of sweetness can be pretty boring! So this is my bit of help in the battle against the sugar monster….DESSERT CAN BE GOOD FOR YOU!!! And EASY to make! And DELICIOUS!
- 3 cups almond flour (local and organic is best)
- 3 organic free-range eggs or duck eggs (do NOT compromise on your eggs!)
- ¼ cup organic ghee
- ¼ cup organic coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon organic vanilla extract
- 1 packet of Stevia (I like this one!)
- 3 organic apples from your local farmer!
- Warm oven to 350 degrees.
- Divide egg yolks from the egg whites.
- In a food processor mix together almond flour, yolks, stevia, vanilla extract, ghee and coconut oil.
- Mix well until dough starts balling up
- In the meantime whip egg whites in a bowl until stiff
- Add egg whites to the dough and mix just enough to blend together
- Core and peel apples and cut in slices. you can sprinkle them with lemon juice to prevent them from turning dark
- Now grease a Pyrex with a tablespoon of coconut oil and line it on top with parchment paper
- Spread the dough in the Pyrex
- Now press the apple pieces into dough with your fingers.
- Bake at 350 for about 40 minutes. Do not let over bake or it will turn dry.