My Patient’s story
Last year a patient came to me for a number of issues. Her main concerns were metabolic: carb intolerance, excess weight, high blood sugars, lack of energy…
During our first call she also mentioned a long standing problem she had not been able to resolve, but she did not expect I could help with: Dry eye syndrome.
She had had surgery on her tear ducts, and been put on several medicated eye drops, seen all kind of specialists…nothing had helped.
When we talked she was pretty much resigned to having to suffer from this ailment for the rest of her life.
I was happy to have some really good news for her. Her problem was completely solvable…they had just missed the root cause of it.
So as we worked together to resolve her metabolic issues and get her back to her ideal weight, I added one simple but crucial supplement to her regimen.
And within a month her eyes started to get better.
In a couple of months the problem was almost entirely resolved.
Would you like to know why?
The answer is baffling simple.
Her condition stems from a basic, severe iodine deficiency.
Iodine: hero or anti-hero?
In the last 50 years iodine has been strongly demonized by the medical community, to the point of creating the phenomenon called “iodophobia”!
I am not a conspiracy theorist, but what happened to iodine in the last half century, really makes me think twice.
All the negative “hype” about iodine is curiously based on only ONE main research paper.
“The Wolff-Chaikoff Effect” is a study published in 1948 in Bekeley, which claims that daily doses of iodine over 0.2mg/L will cause hypothyroidism in humans.
What most people don’t know about this study is that it was conducted on RATS, then values were extrapolated for humans.
Even more interesting is the fact that not even the lab rats used in the study ever became hypothyroid.
If that does not smell fishy to you..
- Iodine is a an ESSENTIAL micronutrient, every single cell of our body needs it, especially the thyroid and breast tissue where it is stored in large quantities.
- Iodine is also an antiviral, antibacterial, antifungal and antiparasitic.
- It plays a very important role in breast cancer prevention, as it is fundamental for healthy breast tissue.
- It is fundamental for brain development of the fetus.
- It protects against carcinogenic radioactive iodine and radiation fallout (was used extensively in Chernobyl).
- Support strong and healthy immune function.
- Prevents oxidative damage to the DNA, resulting in a powerful anticarcinogenic effect.
- Helps the body detoxify and excrete heavy metals.
- Normalizes hormone receptors, making thyroid hormones more effective in their action.
- Functioning hormone receptors also mean better blood sugar / insulin regulation.
- Helps normalize blood pressure.
- Mobilizes the release of fatty acids from adipose tissue = helps you burn fat for energy.
- Supports healthy brain function.
The world health organization considers iodine deficiency a worldwide epidemic, and the number one cause of preventable metal retardation.
72% of the world has iodine deficiency disorder.
Here are some of the conditions caused by iodine deficiency:
- Thyroid dysfunction
- Breast cancer
- Thyroid cancer
- Ovarian cancer
- Fibrocystic Breast Disease
- Liver disease
- Down’s syndrome
- Spontaneous abortion
And the list goes on…
Your body needs Iodine!
The thyroid alone needs 6mg of iodine per day to function.
Average sized breast tissue needs 5mg per day.
Other glands and tissues need 2mg per day.
Other tissues which require daily amounts of iodine are Ovaries, Salivary glands, Parotid glands, Pancreas, Cerebral spinal fluids, Brain, Stomach, Epithelial tissue, Lacrimal glands -Tear ducts!!!
Now you can start putting together the pieces of my patient’s puzzle….
Can you see how a deficiency in this essential nutrient would lead to serious disease in the body.
It is also important to note that a lack of selenium, magnesium, vitamin A, iron and zinc will exacerbate an iodine deficiency.
One last point I would like you to take home today is that a nation deficient in iodine as an average of 15% lower IQ level than a population who is iodine sufficient.
How to supplement
There are many different iodine supplements on the market, and they are not all created equal.
I would recommend avoiding Iodoral in favor of Lugol’s solution. What I use in my practice is the highest form of single atom pure iodine in the most bioavailable form.
As all the supplements I use it is not an over the counter product. I do recommend working with your nutritionist or functional medicine doctor to test your iodine deficiency levels and recommend the best product for you.