Vivica is a nutritionist, blogger, and a ketogenic cookbook author. Her fondness of the ketogenic diet stemmed from not just targeted learning experiences and seminars but also from how she used it to bounce back from a pre-diabetic state. She also realized the need for ketogenic research and practitioners, so she has since offered lifestyle programs centered around the ketogenic diet.
Today, Vivica tells us how an average person can get started with a ketogenic diet, why she thinks a diet by macros aren’t ideal, and why she is strongly against dairy in any diet.
” When you have serious, underlying health issues, your macros aren’t going to fix it.” Vivica Menegaz
In this episode, you’ll learn:
- There are many ways to “attack” a ketogenic diet. There are no one-size fits all approach.
- A ketogenic diet just means some macro nutrient ratios; it doesn’t really tell you what you should be eating.
- Most ketogenic diet fans were motivated with weight loss. Vivica did it so she can bounce back from being a pre-diabetic.
- A standard ketogenic diet is high in dairy, Vivica promotes a Keto-Paleo approach because dairy products interfere with hormonal production.
- The basis of a keto-paleo diet is founded on high quality, nutrient dense food. It also has to be locally sourced and organic.
- Don’t be obsessed with macros, focus on food quality.
- Auto-immune disease is common but it’s not really a disease but a phase of disease. Every disease will go to an auto immune phase if left unchecked.
- A ketogenic diet is an ultra-low carb diet and it might not work for someone if they were to go with it for long-term. A good way to circumvent this is by doing a cyclical ketogenic diet.
- Ask yourself if any food is designed for humans. Milk in cartons are usually for cows or goats.
- You don’t have to get the perfect diet right away but the quality of food you get is important.
Connect with Vivica Menegaz:
Mentioned in this episode:
- The Paleo Answer book by Loren Cordain, PH.D.