Thanksgiving is about indulging, and Black Friday is about shopping, right? To me Black Friday should be about helping your digestive system recover!
My simple Digestive Salad here is made with bitter Asian greens, to stimulate your liver and help it detoxify. Greens are high in chlorophylls, which help neutralize toxins and the bitter flavor stimulates bile flow within the liver.
Unfortunately you might not find these ingredients easily in a regular supermarket. A much likelier place would be you local Farmers Market, where many farmers grow specialty greens, like the Tatsoi or Mizuna. Tatsoi is an Asian green also called Flat Cabbage, it is nutrient rich containing Vitamins A, C, beta-carotene, calcium, folate, fiber and phytonutrients. Mizuna is also known as Japanese Mustard and has a nice bite to it, that is why you want to choose young leaves. Mizuna contains Beta Carotene, Vitamin C, calcium and Iron.
You can find some more recipes and info about those greens here.
Enjoy this Digestive Salad, your body will too!
- 1 bunch organic Mizuna greens
- 1 bunch young organic Tatsoi greens
- ½ red cabbage thinly sliced
- 1 organic apple
- 1 organic lemon
- 1 organic clove garlic
- 1½ inch slice of fresh ginger
- ¼ cup organic oilve oil
- Celtic Sea Salt
- a pinch of ground [url:5]pink peppercon
- Wash and clean greens, then spin dry in a salad spinner.
- In a large salad bowl add the sliced cabbage, both greens either roughly chopped or torn into bite size pieces.
- Peel and core the apple, cut in four, put aside a quarter and slice the rest thinly.
- Add the apple to the salad.
- To make the dressing:
- To a small food processor add the juice of the lemon, the peeled garlic, the apple quarter, the ginger and the pink peppercorn. Mix well until it forms a creamy dressing.
- Toss the salad with the dressing and serve immediately.