A guest recipe!
To accommodate my daughters palate (as well as a few of her friends) I whipped up a batch of Carrot Cupcakes sans raisins and nuts, and topped with a basic sweet frosting. Feel free to add raisins and walnuts to your treats if you can’t live without them.
- 1 c almond flour
- 1/2c coconut flour
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp clove
- 12oz grated carrots
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup full fat coconut milk
- 1 c. coconut sugar (if you are avoiding sugar substitute with 1 teaspoon of powder stevia)
- 1/4 c. coconut oil – melted
- 3/4 c. palm shortening
- 1/3 c. honey
- 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp. arrowroot starch/flour
Originally featured as guest post for Paleo Parents.
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line 12 muffin tins
- In large bowl, combine all dry ingredients, being sure to remove any lumps
- In a medium bowl, combine all wet ingredients and blend until smooth
- Gradually stir the wet ingredients into the dry
- Let mixture sit for 5 minutes allowing the coconut flour to absorb the moisture
- Spoon the mixture into the lined muffin tins filling almost to the top
- Set on middle rack and bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean
- Cool on rack and prepare frosting
- To prepare frosting, combine all ingredients into chilled bowl and use a hand mixer to blend until light and fluffy
- Pipe or spread onto cooled cupcakes and top with walnuts, cinnamon or shredded carrots or nothing – up to you!