I am always trying to create dishes that will use 100% home produced ingredients. In this case I got pretty close! The zucchini and basil are form the garden, grown from Italian seeds the “mamma” sent me. The sorrel is from my herb spiral.The garlic I grew last winter and now hangs in a pretty braid in the kitchen.
The olive oil is also local, coming from Chaffin Orchards, dear friends only an hour form here.
The only thing that came from a “big store” was the hemp seeds, which I got at Costco. (Where I usually do not buy food, but this item caught my eye and I had to try it!)
I am getting close to that 100%….
- 2 fresh garlic cloves
- ⅘ sorrel leaves
- a bunch of fresh basil
- ½ cup raw hemp seeds
- ½ cup extra virgin organic olive oil
- 3 medium organic zucchini
- Peel garlic and place in food processor.
- Add sorrel, washed, dried and roughly chopped.
- Add basil leaves, washed and dried.
- Add hemp seeds and oilve oil.
- Process until a smooth paste is formed.
- If too dry add some olive oil, the pesto should have a smooth consistency.
- In the meantime grate zucchini with the large side of a cheese-grater, into short strips.
- Arrange zucchini on a plate and add ¾ tablespoons of pesto.
- Serve immediately.