Mineral Chicken Broth: the answer to many problems
While on a keto diet, there are some nutritional concerns that need to be addressed:
- supplementation (vitamin and mineral)
- gut health
Most programs recommend taking supplements, and I agree with the value of the right supplement. But food can be “thy medicine” remember?!
My approach is to get as much healing and as many nutrients as possible from the food you eat, reducing your expenses in supplements and the risks associated with choosing the wrong one.
Mineral Chicken broth is one of those magical medicinal foods that just so happen to taste great and be really useful in the kitchen as a base for all kinds of recipes!
The health benefits of Mineral Chicken Broth
Dr Weston A. Price was the man, when it comes to medicinal foods. His findings on nutrition relied heavily on traditional foods, medicinal foods.
That is why the Weston Price Foundation has the best information on broth and one of the best recipes. (read it HERE)
Let’s sum up some of the top health benefits of Mineral chicken broth:
- Contains easily absorbed minerals in a colloidal form: calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, silicon, sulphur and trace minerals
- Contains chondroitin sulphates and glucosamine from cartilage and tendon, they support our own cartilages!
- Is rich in electrolytes so it combats dehydration
- Heals the digestive system
- Supports a healthy immune system
How to supercharge your Mineral Chicken Broth
What is one of the most vitamin, antioxidant and mineral rich foods we can find? Herbs. They are the original medicinals, before the advent of pharmaceutical drugs!
Herbs pack a lot of great nutrition in a really small package!
That is why we should all have a few pots with the basic herbs, fresh and ready for picking.
Combining the nutritional value of our mineral chicken broth with that of fresh herbs used raw will result in a nutrition supercharged food!
A quick example:
- Cilantro and Parsley are super rich in Potassium
- Oregano is full of anti-oxidants and health promoting essential oils
- Rosemary is exceptionally rich in B-complex vitamins
For all the detail on nutritional value of herbs check out this great post.
IMPORTANT: Because a lot of the nutrients in herbs are highly perishable, only mix the quantity you will consume immediately.
Now let’s put it all together!
The really nice broth pack pictured here is a courtesy of Wookey Ranch.
Wookey Ranch has this nice prepackaged packs ready for you to pick up at the Saturday Farmers Market in Chico!
Here is our broth pack unpacked!
Now put all ingredients in the pot:
And here is our broth after about 8 hours!
- Serving size: 1 cup
- Calories: 86
- Fat: 2.88
- Net Carbs: 1
- Protein: 1.06
- 1 chicken broth pack (misc. chicken bones, chicken feet, neck)
- 2 small onions or shallots
- 1 head of garlic
- 1 bunch mixed fresh herbs
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 1 or 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons Celtic Sea Salt
- 2 tablespoons Apple Cider Vinegar
- 4 quarts filtered water
- The SUPERCHARGE:
- 1 bunch of fresh organic herbs
- (You can combine cilantro and parsley or rosemary and oregano or basil and mint or all together)
- Put all the broth ingredients in a large stock pot and let sit for an hour.
- Cook on a very low flame for 8 to 12 hours.
- Let cool
- Separate the meat off the bones (if there is any) for future use and strain the broth.
- Wash the herbs well.
- Warm up a serving of broth to desired temperature, should not be boiling. (140 max)
- To SUPERCHARGE:
- Put your serving of broth and a large handful of herbs in the blender and blend well on high.
- Strain the broth in a fine mesh colander.
- Consume immediately without re-heating.
IF YOU LIKED THIS RECIPE PIN IT BY CLICKING THE IMAGE BELOW