This is another version of grain-free, dairy-free Paleo cake. I tend to use a lot of exotic spices in my recipes, and cardamom is one of my favorite ones. I feel like it made plain old orange flavor more complex and interesting. if you really love cardamom try adding a teaspoon to the cake mixture too.
I really like this cake for breakfast or a quick snack, it makes a decent dessert too!
- ½ cup almond meal
- 2 cups coconut flour
- 1 cup grated yams
- 1 cup crushed walnuts
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- ½ teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ⅔ cup coconut oil, liquid
- 3 large eggs (preferably duck)
- ½ cup canned coconut cream (I use this one!)
- Cardamom Cream:
- 1 cup canned coconut cream
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground cardamom seeds
- ½ tablespoon orange zest
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grate Yams in a food processor, then transfer to a large mixing bowl.
- Add coconut and almond flour, walnuts, baking soda and zest to the bowl, stir well.
- Add coconut oil and cream to the mix.
- On the side whisk eggs lightly in another bowl, then add to cake mixture.
- (You can also put eggs, coconut oil and coconut cream in the blender and mix until frothy, then add to the dry ingredients)
- Mix ingredients thoroughly until well combined.
- Prepare a 9" baking pan by coating the interior lightly with coconut oil.
- Cut a piece of parchment paper to fit the bottom of the pan and place it on top of the coconut oil.
- Now pour the cake mixture into the pan and bake for 35/ 40 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick will come out dry.
- Let cake cool down for 10 minutes on a rack.
- In the meantime whisk together the coconut cream, orange zest and cardamom.
- When the cake is ready to serve, spread the cream to your taste on individual slices.
IF YOU LIKED THIS RECIPE CLICK HERE BELOW TO PIN IT