To snack or not to snack?!
One of the great benefits of a low carb, ketogenic diet is that you do not need to snack, even on low carb snacks!
While dietitians will talk themselves hoarse repeating that you have to eat 5 meals a day, snack every 3 hours etc etc, that concept only holds true when your body is burning Glucose for fuel.
When your metabolism runs on fats instead, the picture is quite different.
First of all that well-known feeling of hunger disappears. You can easily skip a meal without even noticing, once you are keto-adapted. (Which means that your body has successfully made the switch from glucose to fat metabolism). Your blood glucose levels become wonderfully stable, and you do not experience the “hangry” feeling anymore.
One small caveat here: As a woman, even the healthiest woman, you are still somewhat victim to the whims of your hormones! Of course that happens to different degrees, depending how healthy and stable your hormonal levels are.
Body VS mind
And there comes a time in a woman’s month, when the physical sensation of hunger and the need for a food treat become two complete different entities!
Heck, it can happen to anybody, pretty much anytime.
Sometimes you just feel like a snack, or a treat.
Then you look at your Fitness Pal numbers and you think “Mmmmh, if work out another 20 minutes I can eat something nice and actually fit in my macro and calorie goal!”
But what could you eat that would make good keto or low carb snacks for this diet we love so much?!
Coconut is the answer!
To many questions.
Especially to the question “What is one of the best low carb snacks?”
Just don’t add sugar to it and it is a greatly balanced, nutrient rich food. Lucky for us it tastes a lot better than liver too!
Add a bit of chocolate and we are in business.
Make it into a “candy” bar and the deal is sealed!
Ladies and gentlemen let me introduce: the coconut chocolate bar, one of the best low carb snacks you will try!
- Serves: 5 bars
- Serving size: 1 bar
- Calories: 210
- Fat: 22
- Net Carbs: 4.8
- Protein: 1
- Mix shredded coconut with coconut cream,1/2 of the vanilla extract and ½ packet of stevia and blend well with a spatula or a spoon
- Place the shredded coconut mixture on a small cookie sheet lined with parchment paper
- Shape it into a flat rectangle about 4 inches by 6 inches and 1 inch thick (measurements may vary) You can aid yourself with kitchen wrap to accomplish this.
- Place in the freezer for 2 hours, until frozen solid
- Remove from the freezer and cut into 5 bars
- In the meantime you will prepare the chocolate coating:
- Melt coconut oil in a small sauce pan until liquified
- Add cocoa powder remaining stevia and vanilla extract to the coconut oil
- Mix well on low heat for about 2 minutes, until all ingredients are well blended
- Let cool to room temperature, but still liquid
- Now dip the bars in the cocoa mixture, and turn to all sides to coat evenly. It helps if the bars are frozen solid so they won't break.
- Place bars back on the cookie sheet
- When all bars are all coated put in the refrigerator to harden.
- The bars can be kept in the fridge for harder consistency or at room temperature for softer.
- Cacao will melt if kept at a temperature too high.
- OPTION 2
- If you want your chocolate coating to stay solid at room temperature use cocoa butter instead of coconut oil.
- Proceed exactly in the same way as using the coconut oil.
The amount of stevia indicated in the recipe is only for the particular brand of stevia I used.
If you are using a different kind of stevia my recommendation is to start with a very small amount and taste test until you reach the right amount of sweetness without making it bitter and over sweet.
IF YOU LIKED THIS RECIPE PIN IT BY CLICKING THE IMAGE HERE BELOW
Here are a couple of helpful book suggestions to help keeping track of macros, especially on the go!
If you enjoyed the recipes in this post, you might want to get the one week Meal Plan! It’s the best way to get started with a WELL FORMULATED Ketogenic diet! The meal plan contains a full week of unpublished recipes, (all Paleo too!!), a shopping guide, and a list of good and bad foods!
Everything you will need to get started with Keto in the best / healthiest possible way!